Tuesday 29 January 2008

Designing my site

On Monday it was more a day of doing what we wanted on the A5 assignment so I started off by making my site template. I have not yet finished it but now that I can use the software better I will aim to get it finished this week and then I can start implementing CSS. I am going to look over my notes making sure that I understand it before I start using it on my site. As I don't want to get it wrong as I am going to use it for all my text. I also made sure that my pictures where all a set size so that I can add them on to my site when I come to making the pagers where I am going to add my pictures, I made sure that what I had learnt about image compression that I looked at making the file sizes smaller.

Today we started off by having a presentation on typography and how each letter had been structured. I found this really useful as I didn't no what to say about how my typographer had designed his fonts. So this is going to help alot when I come to having a look at what I can change on my presentation. In are group meeting this week we had to talk about what the main points about are typographer was and what fonts he had produced. After the group meeting I then researched my typographer again to see why he had made the fonts. I found quit a bit of information out about his fonts so this week I am going to change my presentation so that I then have enough time to practice it. I will also be making sure that I have designed alot of my site so that I can start to make my questionnaire for user testing. I will be making sure that I am up to date with putting designs in to my sketch book for inspiration.

5 comments:

Suzanne Hullah said...

Today's lecture on the anatomy of typography was certainly a very important lecture for us in regards to our presentation. We can now use it to compare fonts by our typographers to ensure we show the knowledge needed to pass the A6 assignment.

Greg Carrick said...

If you read your notes you will do fine with the CSS as Steve told us all the CSS we need of this site.

As Sue said the lecture on typography anatomy is very important to us and we have to apply some of the terms in our presentation.

Victoria Fisher said...

It's good that you are getting your images ready to add to the web site, that was the first thing I did before I started the web site, i also made a list of important details I need to build the site, like the colours and the fonts size. It makes it a lot better having the details next to me and in order instead of searching though my assignment or my sketch book to find the information.

Like you I didn’t the names of the parts that formed letters, so I found the presentation on Tuesday interesting and useful for typographer presentation work.

Webomatic said...

Hi

The lecture was very interesting, if you look online IE Google, you will see theres a lot more than meats the eye. I my self founf a page that had 100's of meanings and definitions for typography.

For CSS just use the basic things which Steve taught us. It's very easy to get carried away with CSS, so just stick to font changing.

To remember CSS font changes just look at the page property's box at the bottom, it shows heading 1 heading 1 ect, just use the first word (example heading1 h1) and a number followed by {, it generaly fills the rest in for you.

Thanks, Martyn

Andrew said...

I know how you feel about the CSS parts, I too struggle with that side too; but I'm sure aslong as you've read your lecture notes and done the proper research afterwards you'll have no problem in the long run.

I liked our lecture on anatomy, I thought it was useful for the progress we're going to make with the course, especially when it comes to the presentation side of it. This information will help you input the necessary information to make your typography work sucessful.