Tuesday 5 February 2008

Starting the image restoration again

On Monday we had the chance to finish off designing our sites. Ive started my site a few times as I have had problems with the boarder around the page so I decided that I would have to change the design of my site abit, so I am going to make any changes I do in my sketch book and show screen shots of the colour changes and layout of the site.
I made sure that I had completed the questionnaire for the testing of the site and the presentation handout was ready for the group meeting.

Today we started off the day with a timed task which I wasn't really expecting. We had to design the packaging for a paint company. We had to pick a colour of are choose so I picked red. The layout for the design was very small and there was quit a bit of information to add to the packaging we had to add on the design the English, Spanish and French version of the colour. So we had to research this on the Internet to find out the names. I made sure that when planning the task that I had enough time so that I would be able to get the work in on time. I started off by making about 9 different designs so that I would be able to pick from a range of designs. I made sure that the design was quit simple as there wasn't a lot of space to design a lot on the packaging. When it came to designing the packaging on the computer I found it a bit hard to set the page out as it wasn't to scale, so I designed it the best I could. Then when I showed Steve he realised it wasn't to size so he had a look at it for me and the problem was soon fixed.

This afternoon it has been feed back for A4 I have to restarted the image Restoration I was show some more tools in Photoshop which will make the whole image look alot neater.
In are group meeting to day we have been looking at the questions for the testing which I found improvements which I will implement on mine. We also looked at are handouts which I will add more information about the typography of the fonts.
So this week I am going to make sure that the site is completed making sure that every thing is in the right order. I will also be practicing my presentation so that I feel more confident enough for when we have to do are presentation and also I will start the image restoration.

4 comments:

Michelle Bonfield said...

I think the problems you encountered with the canvas size of the paint tube are all too common. Particularly when faced with the unfamiliarity of a new brief which has to be completed within a tight time scale.

I know I definitely tend to mis-judge dimensions in my rough sketches and this often leads to problems when trying to transfer them into InDesign.

I guess the best way to avoid this is have a greater awareness of the generally dimensions of things we use everyday. That way we can relate a physical object to the size of the design we are asked to produce. Equally, a trusty ruler will give a rough guide before any design work begins.

Greg Carrick said...

It’s good you were up to date for the seminar group with the usability questionnaire and handout ready. It’s very helpful getting feedback in the seminar group and I’m glad you’re going to implement it.

Mark Torrington said...

In all design for print application you can set the document area within page setup under the file menu. I agree with Michelle’s comment about the ruler - a must when you are creating packaging design. It is a good idea prior to collect all the elements for the design before you start it, know the limitation of your output device and don’t loose sight of the target audience.

Liam Corfield said...

Im in the same boat as you, ive got to redo the image restoration task too. i think now that we have done it once or twice before, it will take less time and be easier.