Tuesday 22 January 2008

Learning more about CSS

On Monday we had a presentation on how to use CSS codes when making our sites. I thought the presentation really helped as I have never done any thing like this before. Now that I have taken down notes I will be able to have a look at this and see what CSS I will use on my site. After the presentation I had a meeting about my A3 assignment there wasn't that much to change but after going over the assignment again there was a few more little things that I needed to change. So I was going to make sure that I had A3 done for tomorrow.

Today we had a presentation on typography, after the presentation had finish we then went on to researching are typographer. But soon as we started this Steve said that we would be having a task to do. I was unsure at what this would be at first but when the task was explained I thought that it wouldn't be to bad. We had to design a cover what would be used on a font book. But we had to make sure that we designed only using set colours. I started off by making sure that I understood the task and then planning what I wanted to structure my work in the time set. After this I started on my designs I did quit a lot of designs as I didn't know how I wanted the cover to look. When I had done this I started designing the cover in Indesign I made sure that the design was quit simple so that I would be able to create the design in Indesign. I found it easier to know where the tools in Indesign where as I had researched this last week. I made sure that the designs where handed in on time.

In the afternoon I had been finding design ideas to put in my sketch book and also I had been researching my typographer. In are group meeting this week we went over what is needed for the sketch book assignment and I also made sure that I had handed the A3 assignment in.
This week I am going to work on my sketch book, putting my presentation together with the research I have found and I will also be starting to make my site.

4 comments:

Tom Smith said...

The fact you looked into InDesign last week obviously helped you with the timed task this week. I think that knowing the software well is key to success in these tasks. Spending time in self study playing around in InDesign is a really valuable exercise, and one I'd really recommend.

Victoria Fisher said...

The presentation on CSS was easy to understand and I found it interesting to learn about, as I had researched about CSS before, but I didn’t know how to create it. I also didn’t know that you could create CSS using Dreamweaver, which sounds easier to do and helps introduce people that are new to CSS.

Mark Torrington said...

Like Tom mentioned, "knowing the software" is without doubt the way forward. InDesign is a great asset to the CS3 suite, used in conjunction with Photoshop and illustrator, you will find it so versatile to support design layouts, typography, and photography.

Similar to me you are just getting to grips with Dreamweaver. On first impressions it seems straight forward, however I am sure we will have much more to learn.

James Bell said...

The dialog boxes in Dreamweaver can be very easy to use and make it easy to write CSS code but it does not help to understand how it works.

This can cause problems when creating more complicated websites that use CSS for both the formatting and the layout.