Friday 21 December 2007

The first term

Over the first semester I feel that I have already gained lots of experience on this course. I feel that the work that we have been doing has been a lot different to the course I was on at college. Some of the work on the course so far has been a challenge, but when looking back at the work that I was producing at college, I feel that I have already improved and have learnt a great deal from the assignments I have already done. Even thought I didn't pass two of the assignments at first, I feel that given another chance to pass the assignments has given me a better understanding of what is needed to pass, and feel that I was able to include this in how I structure my next assignments.

I feel that from the presentations that we have been given has helped me to produce the work I have already done. I have learnt a lot of knowledge from these and feel that writing the notes down in my sketch book as helped when doing tasks, as I am able to look back if I wasn't sure about any work that I was doing.
The sketch book as also been useful to add inspiration and designs this will help me to see the improvements that I have made and will be able to see how far I have come on the course.

There is so much more to learn about the design industry and feel like I am gaining a lot more experience in this industry. I already have a lot more knowledge about the industry and I have a better understanding of what is needed to get a professional design job.

Short term goals
I feel that I need to gain as much experience from the course and take every opportunities I can so at the end of the course I will have as much knowledge as I can get so that I am employable and will be able to find a job in this industry.

Mid term goals
After leaving college I would like to find a job in this industry so that I am able to gain more experience.

Long term goals
When having employment I feel like I would have gained enough experience in this industry so that I am able to move on and progress in the industry.

13 comments:

Mark Torrington said...

This course is the foundations of your future, and I feel you are building up to reach for the sky.

Victoria Fisher said...

Like you, I can see how my work as improved over the last couple of months and I have also improved on other things like, note taking and time management. Another thing that I was glad I did was the presentation, I proved to myself I could do them and I didn’t do that bad at it.

Michelle Bonfield said...

The first term has been a steep learning curve for all of us. You have my full admiration for raising your game after the step backs you faced. It takes real determination to keep motivated when the going gets tough.

John Browne said...

Good to hear you are using your sketchbook to the full when looking back at previous work and in search for inspiration.

Also having your personal goals laid out in front of you as you have done so, will only provide a basic plan of where your feet will go. It is you who needs to take the steps in order to achieve what is written.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Rebecca

As Michelle has pointed out, it has been a very steep learning curve and culture shock for us all.

Our sketchbooks are proving to be an invaluable tool aiding us in our development.

I think that the path ahead of us is not going to be an easy one; but is anything worth doing ever easy?

--
“Yes, we can still do it. Nothing worth doing is easy.” - John Bates

James Bell said...

I think that the sketchbook is one of the most valuable tools on the course and it will be something that we can look back on in the future to gain inspiration and also to see the progression of our work.

Liam Corfield said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzanne Hullah said...

By feeling that your sketchbook is becoming more and more useful to you shows a learning curve from the beginning of the course.

At the beginning, I didn't quite apprehend just how important that sketchbook would be and never ever thought that in just one year of the course I could get through 2 or 3.

Anonymous said...

Approximately two and a half hours until comments are closed for Semester 1.

Andrew said...

I think a thing you struggled with at the start of the course is the sketchbook, something I also really find difficult, but I saw improvements towards the end of the semester, I can see that you are on the right track.

Your basic goals show efficiently where you want to go and how you want to get there. I think everyone had different assumptions of this course and the future before they started and I believe most have changed somewhat and are slightly different from those original ones.

Anonymous said...

Semester 1 Journal Comments Closed.

Liam Corfield said...

The sketchbook, or rather sketchbooks have been a a big part of this term, at the begining of term i was puttin in inspiration every week, but as the weeks went on i just didnt have the time, im going to have to make time next term

Gary Benn said...

Im glad you are aware you are making progress with your learning. I think the one motivational thing you need is to look at what you have gained and learnt. If you feel you have learned nothing then you wont want to continue.

So i think its good that you are aware of your progress and are making goals to further that.