Tuesday 4 December 2007

Making Banners

Monday I had to come in to college as Steve said that I needed to come in and do some work. Me and a few other people had a presentation on how to set out references for books as we got this wrong when we had been doing are assignment. In the afternoon I had a meeting with Steve to talk about the last assignment and was good news that I had passed the assignment which I was really glad about. I also had the time to catch up on the other assignments which was very useful as I had got quiet a lot of work done in the day and new what work I needed to do when I got home so that I had every thing done for the next day.

Today we had a task to make 40 banners in half an hour. We was given 5 pictures with there details and had to include this on every banner. I enjoyed this task but at the end of it I seemed to be doing some of the designs again but this wasn't really a bad thing as they might have worked better for different pictures. Then we had to pick the best 2 designs I liked from each 1 and draw them in more detail, colour and also making notes about them. I think the task was really useful as when we came to design the ideas on the computer we new what we wanted them to look like. I have changed some of my ideas a bit as I am not use to the software yet so I had to make changers where need.

This week I am going to make sure that I have corrected my designs, site structure and budget statement. I will also be making changers to the image restoration as I didn't know how to get the picture in colour with out it looking all blended together. I will be working on the banners that we have been doing.

7 comments:

Victoria Fisher said...

I know what you mean about having to change the banner design when putting them on the computer, I also had to do the same and when I was doing the screen designs and feed back forms for the assignment work, I also had to change my deigns slightly, but I always try and put in my sketch book what changes I did.

Tom Smith said...

Don't worry about having to change your designs when you digitise them, it's only natural when you're only just beginning to learn the software. You'll definitely improve with time!

Greg Carrick said...

As Tom said don’t worry about changing your ideas, I think everyone has done it slightly.

I’m glad you enjoyed the design task, I did too.

Shaun Bellis said...

Change is a good thing as you are identifying weakness or imperfections in your paper based designs.

The development of an idea never really stops until it is completed and uploads / printed.

We are all still very early on in our carers as designers; this means that it is very normal to see areas for improvement in our work.

I would be interested to see some of your design ideas uploaded on here please.

Gary Benn said...

The only thing i can say is keep the prints and put them in your sketchbook - no matter how good/bad or unfinished they are. It shows your development.

And as long as you doncument it I see no problem with changing your designs.

The only advice i can give to someone new to photoshop is "DONT BE SCARED OF IT!" Yes there are lots of menus and options, but no one expects anyone to learn them all at once. If you learn something new from each task we do at college it is worth while. I usually put one our into my time planning each week to "play" around with new software as i feel the only way to learn something like that is to make mistakes! - As long as you take note of them.

John Browne said...

Congratulations on passing Rebecca, I unfortunatly, didn't pass. A note about not being used to the program also:

I over estimated the size of the text and what styles we're available, which meant I had to come up with some alterations in this particular task...

Its not been used to the program in my opinion. Its knowing your typography....

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.